TomTom's Fuel Prices feature helps you find the lowest gas prices by identifying and ranking stations by price and location. TomTom's car GPS features then provide you with turn-by-turn driving directions to the gas station with the best price. You will need a compatible TomTom "GO" model in-car GPS and a $14.95 per year subscription to the TomTom Fuel Prices service to use this feature.
- TomTom HOME personal computer connectivity method:
If you haven't installed the TomTom HOME software for you personal computer (available in PC and Mac versions) do so now per the instructions that came with your GPS. TomTom HOME provides the connectivity you need to update fuel prices to your GPS. To get the latest version of TomTom HOME, you may also download it directly from TomTom.
- Over-the-air method:
If you have a compatible, Bluetooth-enabled phone with a data plan, you may link your TomTom GO to fuel price data over the air.
- Subscribe to the TomTom Fuel Prices feature:
To begin your Fuel Prices subscription, start TomTom HOME on your personal computer and select "Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc." Select the Fuel Prices option, and subscribe for $14.95 per year. The Fuel Prices subscription includes more than 80,000 stations in the USA and Canada. You may also select which type of fuel you would like to receive prices on: diesel, regular, mid-grade, or premium. This is a nice feature.
- When you have established your connectivity method and started your subscription, you are ready to receive the latest fuel price data. If you are connecting by computer, connect your TomTom to your personal computer via TomTom HOME, and click on "Update my GO." If you are connected by mobile phone, go to the fuel prices screen per instructions below and select "update" on the touch screen.
- With the latest fuel price data on board, use the fuel prices feature by simply selecting "TomTom Services" from the GPS touchscreen menu, then select "Fuel Prices."
- The Fuel Prices screen (shown in the photo above) gives you the choice of finding by distance, price, cheapest on route, cheapest nearby, or cheapest in area.
- The "find" screens show a list of stations, distance to the station (to a tenth of a mile), and the name of the station. Simply touch the name of the station you wish to travel to, and the TomTom will give you its standard turn-by-turn directions to get there.
- Like the Garmin gas prices feature, TomTom Fuel Prices does not provide up-to-the-minute, completely accurate pricing. At best you are getting a close approximation of relative prices. But in my test drives, I found that was good enough. I was able to consistently locate the best pricing along my routes.
What You Need
- Compatible TomTom in-car portable GPS navigator.
- TomTom Home software installed on a personal computer.
- $14.95 annual subscription to TomTom Fuel Prices.