Your Garmin car GPS comes with millions of points-of-interest (POIs) installed, including restaurants, gas stations, businesses, tourist destinations and much more. However, many users like to add custom POIs to their GPS devices. These include speed trap and traffic light camera POIs, custom road tours, WiFi hotspots, and more (see links below). Here's how to add custom POI data to your Garmin car GPS.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Download and install the Garmin POI loader if you don't have it installed on your PC already. The POI Loader comes in PC and Mac versions.
- If you don't already have a custom POI file in you'd like to install, try the POIFactory, or for speed trap and traffic light camera POIs specifically, go to Trapster.
- Save your new custom POI file folder to your computer desktop or another location that will be easy to find.
- Connect your Garmin car GPS to your computer via its USB cable.
- Start the Garmin POI Loader program.
- You should see a dialog box that includes the model name of your connected GPS device. If you don't see your GPS, click "find device."
- Select "Load new custom POIs into your device" and "continue."
- Use the custom POI loader "browse" feature to locate and install your files. The software will let you know when the process is complete.
- When you select your custom POI to install, select the entire folder, which should contain several files, rather than individual files. This will help in sure correct and complete installation.
What You Need
- Garmin car GPS Device.
- USB cable that came with your GPS.
- Garmin POI Loader, downloaded and installed.