The Bottom Line
- Many advanced nav features packed into a phone as small as a flip phone.
- Turn-by-turn, text-to-speech directions.
- Automatically transmit your position to AAA Roadside Service.
- In-depth POI.
- Must be precise with address input.
- $9.99 per month subscription price.
- Pricing: Free one-day trial; $2.99 one-day use; $9.99 monthly subscription.
- Notify AAA member roadside service of your location with the press of a button.
- Search for AAA reviewed points of interest from AAA’s TourBook.
- Navigate with turn-by-turn, audible directions.
- Automatic rerouting.
- Gas station search includes current price per gallon for regular.
- Includes traffic alerts and rerouting around traffic.
Guide Review - AAA Mobile Puts Quality Turn-by-Turn Navigation on Smartphones
To use AAA Mobile with the Motorazr V9m flip phone, simply go to the main menu, select "tools on the go" and "AAA Mobile." Choices include local search, navigation, roadside service, maps & traffic, and favorites.
Turn-by-turn navigation works quite well on the Motorazr. The flip phone's screen shows simplified directions while you roll, including distance to next turn, name of street you're on, and the name of the street for the next turn, and a big color arrow showing the direction you'll be turning. The display does not present a moving map, like a dedicated car GPS, and that's a good thing, because it wouldn't be readily seen on a small phone screen. The speaker on the Motorazr was surprisingly loud and clear, and I mostly drove by the audible directions. One drawback: You must be precise when you enter your destination addresses. The input routine isn't as forgiving as that of a dedicated car GPS, and it doesn't make suggestions.
Another feature that sets this service apart is AAA's traditional roadside service support combined with automatic transmission of your exact location if you use the roadside service option. You must be a member of AAA (you enter your member number when you set it up) to get full benefits.
Another strength of AAA Mobile is its in-depth points-of-interest database. You get more information with a typical AAA POI - especially for restaurants and lodging - than you do from a typical GPS POI. This often includes reviews, summaries and star ratings.
If you're a frequent traveler, and you like to travel light, you may want use AAA Mobile if you can live with the $9.99 per month price tag.