The Bottom Line
- Solid maps and directions.
- Good Wi-Fi hotspot database
- Good multi-tasking, run-in-background functionality.
- Good gas prices search utility.
- Lack of traffic detection and avoidance.
- Monthly/yearly subscription fee.
- Free 30-day trial, followed by $2.99/month or $21.99/year subscription fee.
- Shake to go to address.
- Customization: favorites, my contacts, recent places.
- Night-time backlighting mode.
- iPod control tab on map screen.
- 22 million points-of-interest database.
Guide Review - TeleNav GPS iPhone App Review
The TeleNav GPS app for the iPhone has many of the features we've come to expect in an iPhone navigation app, including spoken turn-by-turn directions including street names, automatic map and content updates, and 2D and 3D moving maps. One key missing feature, however, is traffic detection and avoidance.
TeleNav GPS is free to download, but after 30 days users must pay $2.99 per month, or $21.99 per year to continue to receive voice guidance with directions, and other personalization features.
Strengths of the app include good support for app multitasking (navigation continues to run in the background while you use other apps), gas stations listed by gas price (works great), and a good Wi-Fi hotspot locator/database (also worked very well in my tests). TeleNav is a maps and navigation powerhouse that sells its services to other providers, so you can count on good maps and directions. However, lack of traffic detection and avoidance and the ongoing cost of app should give you pause, or at least reason to consider all of the options before committing.