If you use a Garmin in-car GPS, there are much more interesting car icons available than the few that appear within your unit's stock menu. In fact, you don't need to "drive" a car at all. How about a fire truck, or a football, or a tank, police car, motorcycle, or stock car? Sound like fun? Read on to learn how to download and install free new GPS icons.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- You will need a Nuvi series, Zumo series, or select StreetPilot model Garmin GPS to be able to download and install vehicle icons from the Garmin Garage.
- Visit the Garmin Garage to review the selection of vehicles that are available.
- Select your vehicle from the "all vehicles" page and download your selection.
- Follow the instructions as described on the Garmin site:
-Connect your Garmin GPS device to your computer.
-Click open, if necessary.
-Browse to find the “Garmin/vehicle” folder on the Garmin drive (you may need to create the vehicle folder), and double-click the file to extract.
-Double-click the unplug or eject icon in your system tray. Click stop, and then click OK.
-Unplug the USB cable from your Garmin GPS device.
- How to change your ride:
-On your GPS device menu, touch Settings.
-Choose your favorite vehicle.
- Download new vehicle icon files directly into your Garmin GPS device. There is no need to download them to your computer hard drive first.
What You Need
- Garmin Nuvi series, Zumo series or select StreetPilot GPS device.
- USB cable to connect your GPS to a personal comuter.
- Internet connection